Cleaning- what works best for me!

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Cleaning is no ones favourite thing to do, but it is something that has to be done. I've always been curious about what is the best way to clean and the most efficient. After living with several people ranging from friends to family, I've learnt that everyone has a different cleaning techniques. And most of the time is it using a product that is highly toxic and expensive. 


When I was 18 and lived with a house of girls, I can clearly remember being freaked out by the fact that I got tinea on my feet. I was sharing a bathroom between 2 other girls and there was always friends sharing it too. For weeks I had no idea that my feet skin had been peeling off from sharing the shower. Thankyou google! I went out, with little to none money, and I bought the most expensive shower cleaning product on the shelf. The instructions said to spray it and leave it. I remember spraying the chemical and it being so toxic I put on heavy duty gloves and wrapped my nose and mouth in a scarf to prevent myself from inhaling the cleaner and burning my lungs. It was defiantly a cringe-worthy moment that I ended up repeating for several months. But now, 3 years on, I've finally found what works best for me! Here is 3 products that I use that has saved me from burning my lungs, time and best of all money...


You will need...
Spray bottle/s
The cheapest bottle of vinegar
Home brand bleach
Your favourite dishwashing liquid
and water

VINEGAR (My multi-purpose spray!)
This is heavens gift! I use vinegar on almost everything. You can pick up a bottle of vinegar for a few dollars from most supermarkets (I recommend the cheapest one you can find). You will also need a spray bottle. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar in the kitchen with half vinegar and half water. Vinegar removes germs, bacteria, chemical buildups, cuts grease, removes odours and keeps away ants.

  • Spray it mixture on the floors of tiles, lamenix, wood and simply wipe it over with a mop. It will remove the bacteria from the floor and leave it smelling fresh and clean. It will also keep those nasty problem ants away.
  • Wipe the surfaces of kitchens and bathrooms to remove germs 
  • Spray the shower with equal parts of vinegar and dishwashing liquid to remove the buildup of soap scum and bacteria and leave it squeaky clean
BLEACH
I have found that people either hate bleach or love it. It is quite harmful, but defiantly effective. Like vinegar, bleach is used for cleaning and disinfecting. Though, It still burns the nose a bit, so be careful!

  • Poor straight bleach around the toilet bowel and leave it for 15+ minutes. It works out  to be much cheaper and just as efficient as a regular toilet cleaner from a supermarket
  • Soak white plates and mugs in a sink of warm warmer and 1/10 bleach to remove any discolouration from tea, coffee and food. Leave the items in the water for 30+ minutes and leave them to dry naturally and they will look like new
  • Soak your whites in warm water and part bleach in a tub to remove any stains (but do not use on anything with colour) 
  • You can also use straight bleach in the shower, sink, tub and tiles. I like to cover the shower in bleach and scrub it evenly on the tiles and into the grout to remove mould then wash off the bleach and spray vinegar over the shower to remove any bacteria or chemical buildup and keep it smelling nice
  • You can also use bleach on outdoor areas, it removes any mould or mildrew buildup on tiles or cement. Poor the bleach on the surface with some water and use a outdoor broom to distribute it evenly. Leave it to soak and wash off when it is clean with a hose. But be careful to use it around your grass and garden as it will kill them.
DISH WASHING LIQUID
Not only is dishwashing liquid great for washing your dishes in, it can also be used in different ways to clean...

  • You can create your own bathroom cleaning product by using vinegar and dishwashing detergent and mixing in a spray bottle. Its just as effective as buying an expensive mould remover, if not better!
  • Dishwashing detergent actually removes stains in fabrics... I have used this before on remove a stain on the couch. Use a small amount of dishwashing detergent and rub with a tiny bit of water onto the stain and watch it disappear. 
Creating my own products has defiantly educated me and saved me money, because now I know what I am using and how it works.  And, of course, these cleaning remedies may not work for you, but the best thing you can do is find out what does work by simply trial and error. You can go on Pinterest and find so many great homemade cleaning products. 

Let me know what works best for you!

E x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe